Sunday, January 3, 2016

My name is Andrea, and I'm a technoholic


Today's #ThinkKit16 writing prompt prompted a personal epiphany. I am addicted to technology. The assignment: 

          Get analog. No screens, no technology – what did you do 
          with your hands this year?

Sadly, the answer is "not much." Ever since getting my first iPhone, I have been hopelessly in love with the convenience of having a personal computer in my pocket. It's a source of entertainment during down time (however did we endure elevator rides and fast-food lines before this marvelous innovation?!) and can provide instant answers to important questions like how to celebrate Festivus. Remember those dinner-table debates over who played in last year's Final Four or when the Indiana State Fair begins? Ancient history, thanks to the miracle of Google.


When it comes to tech, I'm a master multi-tasker.

At this very moment, there are four laptops, two desktop computers, four iPads, two iPhones, four video game systems, and at least eight functioning televisions in my two-person house. ("Only" five of the TVs are actually in use; the others are awaiting a trip to the recycling center.) After spending the bulk of my workday in front of a computer screen, I come home to more technology than some third-world countries. It's a problem.

That said, I did take action to reduce my screen time in 2015. Before making the leap from journalism to the "real world" in February, I spent most of my waking hours staring at my laptop or iPhone (usually with a TV on in the background). News doesn't follow an 8-5 schedule, and I didn't want to miss something important. It took a while to get used to not keeping my laptop fired up at all times, but now I often go days without logging on.

It may be a small step, but at least now I'm headed in the right direction. And although I gave up making resolutions years ago, I will make an effort to spend less time tied to technology this year.

That means less TV and off-duty computer time, because I refuse to give up my pocket PC. Without my iPhone, I wouldn't have been able to document so much of what I saw and did "offline" last year – the beautiful sunrise I noticed while pumping gas on my way to work, a peaceful boat ride with my family in Florida, a sunny afternoon with friends at a baseball game in Louisville, partying with the "pope" at Sausagefest.

Sunrise over Fishers, November 2015
2015 Sausagefest
And of course it's invaluable for capturing aww-inspiring photos of our fur babies being adorable!

Lucy is very helpful when it comes to hygiene.

What's your take on technology? Is it as much a part of your everyday existence as mine? How can I break the tech habit?

No comments:

Post a Comment